HOME INSTEAD SENIOR CARE (referred to in this document as we, us or our) recognise your right to and the importance of your privacy, and we are committed to protecting the personal information we collect from you. The Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act), Australian Privacy Principles and registered privacy codes govern the way in which your personal information is managed. This policy sets out how we collect, use, disclose and otherwise manage your personal information.
Types of Information Collected
We may collect and hold personal information about you, that is, information that can identify you, and relates to the provision of our services or employment.
Sensitive information which we may collect could include but not limited to:
- racial or ethnic origin, sexual preferences or practices;
- political opinion;
- memberships of political associations or religious beliefs, affiliations etc;
- health or disability information.
Purpose of collection
We collect personal information by lawful and fair means and we will only collect personal information that is necessary for employment purposes, conducting our business in general, or provisions of services to our Clients.
The personal information that we collect and hold about you, depends on your interaction with us. Generally, we collect, use and hold your personal information for the purpose of:
- Assisting in the provision of quality care services for our Clients;
- Effectively training, managing and ensuring the safety of each Employee;
- Facilitating our internal business operations, including the fulfilment of any taxation, compliance or legal requirements;
- Analysing our services, Client and Employee needs with a view to improve those services; and
- Contacting you to provide a testimonial for us.
Sensitive information may be used to enable us to match employee’s interests with the interests of our clients. In most cases this sensitive information is for internal use only.
Personal information may be used by us in connection with an employee’s work placement; their performance appraisals; our identification of their training needs; and management of any complaint, investigation or inquiry in which they are involved including but not limited to insurance and or Workcover claims.
Failure to Provide Information
If the personal information you provide us is incomplete or inaccurate, we may be unable to provide you, or someone else you know, with the services you, or they, are seeking.
Failure to provide complete and accurate information by an employee could also result in disciplinary actions and may result in a decision to terminate your employment contract.
If you access our website, we may collect additional personal information about you in the form of your IP address or domain name. Our website may contain links to other websites. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of linked websites and any linked websites are not subject to our privacy policies and procedures.
Use and Disclosure
We will usually only use or disclose personal information:
- For the primary purpose for which it was collected;
- For related purposes which the individual would reasonably expect; or
- With consent.
In some circumstances, we may use or disclose personal information without consent. This could include but not limited to:
- Reviewing and analysing our services, including Client and Employee needs with a view to improving those services;
- where we reasonably believe that use or disclosure is necessary to reduce or prevent a threat to a person’s life, health or safety or a serious threat to public health or safety;
- where the use or disclosure is required by law;
- where we reasonably believe that the use is necessary for law enforcement, public revenue protection, prevention and remedying of serious improper conduct, or conduct of court or tribunal proceedings, either by or on behalf of an enforcement body.
Home Instead Senior Care may from time to time use information to market services directly to you. We will not however provide or disclose this information to any third party for the purposes of direct marketing. In the event that we use information about you for the purpose of direct marketing we will provide you with a mechanism to ‘opt-out’ and if you choose to ‘opt-out’ we will not continue to use information about you for direct marketing purposes.
We store your personal information in different ways, including in paper and in electronic form. The security of your personal information is important to us. We take reasonable measures to ensure that your personal information is stored safely to protect it from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure, including electronic and physical security measures.
Access and Correction of Personal Information
You may request access to personal information we hold about you, by making a written request. We will respond to your request within a reasonable period.
We may decline a request for access to personal information in circumstances prescribed by the Privacy Act, if we do, we will provide you with a written notice that sets out the reasons for the refusal.
If, upon receiving access to your personal information, or at any time, you believe the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date, please notify us immediately. We will take reasonable steps to correct the information so that it is accurate, complete and up to date.
Complaint and Feedback
If you wish to make a complaint about a breach of the Privacy Act, Australian Privacy Principles or privacy code that applies to us, please contact us on the details provided in the footer of our website and we will take reasonable steps to investigate the complaint and respond to you. If you are not happy with our response, you may complain directly to the Australian Information Commissioner.
If we become aware of an eligible data breach, where the outcome of the data breach is more than likely to result in serious harm of an individual(s), we will notify the individual(s) at risk as per our obligations under the Privacy Act 1988 and the Notifiable Data Breaches Scheme.
For more information about privacy in general, you can visit the Australian Information Commissioner’s website at www.oaic.gov.au