Home Care Packages
Home Care Packages (HCP) Programme
The Home Care Packages Programme is a package of home care services designed for those with more complex care needs, who may still wish to remain living independently in the comfort of their homes. There are four levels of Home Care Packages.
A level of care to suit your lifestyle
No matter which level of Home Care Package you fall into, Home Instead can offer caring, flexible services to suit your needs. Thankfully, if you receive a government subsidised Home Care Package, you stay in complete control of:
- Your service provider
- Who delivers your home care services
- The type of services you receive
- When you receive services e.g. day and time
- Where your services are provided (so you can receive them in the comfort of home).
You will also receive:
- A detailed Care Plan
- An individual budget, detailing the home care services you have chosen to receive against the value of your Home Care Package
- A monthly statement detailing how your Home Care Package subsidy is being spent.
There are 4 levels of Home
Care Packages available:
Basic Care Needs
Low-Level Care Needs
Intermediate Care Needs
High-Level Care Needs.
The Home Care Package is intended for:
- Older people needing support to continue living independently in their home
- Younger people with disabilities, dementia, or other special care needs not met through other specialist services.
There are no minimum age requirements or residency restrictions, but Home Care Packages are not intended for:
- Visitors to Australia
- People requiring temporary or short-term care.
To find out if you are eligible for a Home Care Package, contact My Aged Care, who will refer you to an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) for an in-person assessment. They will determine your eligibility, and which Home Care level best suits your needs.
If you are assessed as eligible for a Home Care Package, you will receive a letter of approval from My Aged Care. That letter sets out the level of Home Care Package you are approved to receive. The amount of government subsidy you receive increases with each level. The subsidy is paid directly to your Home Care Package provider of choice.
It is important to know that you may be required to pay a basic daily care fee and/or an income-tested care fee if you are not on a full aged pension. To find out if this might apply to you, please give us a call on 1300 008 018, and we’ll gladly run through it with you.
We recommend you arrange for a formal income assessment by the Department of Human Services after you have been assessed by an ACAT* to understand what your contribution towards your Home Care Package will be.
There may be a waiting period between being approved for a Home Care Package and being assigned a Home Care Package. My Aged Care will place you in a national priority queue for Home Care Packages and will contact you when a package becomes available for you. The time you wait before you are assigned a Home Care Package is based on your individual needs and circumstances as well as the time you have spent waiting for a Home Care Package following assessment.
Navigating the government’s Home Care Packages can be difficult. That’s why we’re committed to finding you the care you need – no matter what level or provider that’s with. If you would like some help with this process, give us a call on 1300 008 018.
*ACAT = Aged Care Assessment Service (ACAS) in Victoria.
At Home Instead, we understand that each person living at home will have slightly different needs and wishes. That’s why we offer completely unique home care packages – so you can live at home with complete choice, flexibility and control of your care services.
All of Home Instead’s care services are available immediately – even if you’re waiting for your ACAT or ACAS assessment, or in the national prioritisation queue.
You’ll be personally assigned with a CAREGiver who can provide everything from occasional support to 24/7 care. And when your care package is decided, Home Instead is committed to maximising its value.
- You’ll be personally matched with one of our qualified CAREGivers
- You pick the times, days and tasks you’d like a hand with
- You can change your package and services as you wish
- We’re ready by the phone – 24/7 – if you need any extra support
- There are no exit fees or daily fees, just your regular, low management fee.
Your friendly CAREGiver can help with a wide variety of your domestic tasks, including:
- Personal care – We can assist with showering, toileting, dressing, and plenty more.
- Day-to-day tasks – If you have regular medication or tasks, your supportive CAREGiver can help manage them for you.
- Meal preparation – Your CAREGiver can even give your favourite recipes a go, so you’ll always have a healthy, tasty and familiar meal ready for you.
- Transport – You’ll be driven to the shops, your social outings, your appointments and more by your single, personally-assigned CAREGiver.
If you need more services than your Home Care Package provides, Home Instead Senior Care can help. Simply top-up your individual budget by purchasing additional home care services as needed.